This 90-minute session will bring together stakeholders to reflect upon the evolution of the ICANN multistakeholder model. In light of the IANA Stewardship Transition, ICANN has undergone a series of enhancements to its accountability and governance framework. These enhancements include revisions of key governance documents (Bylaws, Articles of Incorporation) and the creation of an affiliate organization to operate the IANA functions, legally separate from the policymaking work that ICANN also houses. Enhancements go beyond governance documents to affect the multistakeholder community and its own accountability and responsibility within the ICANN ecosystem: this is addressed in particular throughout the second phase of the accountability enhancements work, known as “Work Stream 2”. This session will seek views and feedback from the IGF Community on the process that was undertaken by ICANN to evolve the multistakeholder model, using the IANA Stewardship Transition as a case study.
Session Moderator: Theresa Swinehart, Senior Vice President, Multistakeholder Strategy And Strategic Initiatives, ICANN
Göran Marby, President and CEO, ICANN
Lawrence E. Strickling, Assistant Secretary for Communications and Information and Administrator, National Telecommunications and Information Administration, U.S. Department of Commerce
Steve Crocker, Chairman of the Board, ICANN
Thomas Schneider, Chair of the ICANN Governmental Advisory Committee (GAC)
Alejandro Pisanty, ISOC Mexico
Erin Dorgan, International Telecommunications Policy and Coordination, Department of Innovation, Science and Economic Development, Canada
1) Introduction of Session by Theresa Swinehart
2) The IANA Stewardship Transition and ICANN – Göran Marby
3) Address by Lawrence E. Strickling
4) ICANN post-transition - Questions to be taken by Discussants: Thomas Schneider, Erin Dorgan, Alejandro Pisanty
- GAC role in the multistakeholder decision-making process;
- How does the success of the transition demonstrate the validity of the global multistakeholder model?
- What are some of the greatest potential challenges to ICANN and the multistakeholder model moving forward?
- What are the accountability enhancements that are the results of Work Stream 2?
5) Closing remarks on the overall transition journey - Steve Crocker
6) Community input and Q&A - moderated by Theresa Swinehart