In 2017, Zero Rating* continued to be one of the most discussed net neutrality issue and, for this reason the session will be largely dedicated to the Zero Rating Map, which is 2017 outcome of the DCNN. The purpose of the Map is to build an open access resource that can contribute to the promotion of a more informed debate on Net Neutrality and Zero Rating and can be exploited by a wide range of stakeholders, including researchers, regulators, entrepreneurs and user rights advocates. The Zero Rating Map is an ongoing effort and the beta version will be presented during the session in order to stimulate feedback from the participants.
To date, inputs on Zero Rating practices in several countries have already been collected, utilising an open Ethercalc sheet. All interested stakeholders are invited to contribute to this crowdsourced effort, adding information regarding their respective countries. The Ethercalc sheet will remain open to receive submissions during the IGF and after the IGF, and the Zero Rating Map will be regularly updated, including the most recent information added to the Ethercalc sheet. The Zero Rating Map will be available on www.zerorating.info
The elaboration of the Zero Rating Map is coordinated by Luca Belli, DCNN Chair and Senior Researcher at the Center for Technology & Society at Fundação Getulio Vargas (CTS/FGV). All contributors to this effort will be able, but not obliged, to include their name as authors of the contributions to the Map. Contributors stating their name will be explicitly acknowledged in the Zero Rating Map, which will be graciously maintained by CTS/FGV.
- Sébastien Soriano, President of ARCEP and Chairman of BEREC
- Luca Belli, Head of Internet Governance, Center for Technology and Society at FGV
- María Paz Canales, Executive Director, Derechos Digitales
- Maryant Fernandez, Senior Policy Advisor, EDRi
- Amba Uttara Kak, Tech Policy Fellow, Mozilla
- Dhanaraj Thakur, Senior Research Manager, Web Foundation/Alliance for Affordable Internet
- Alfredo Velazco, Executive Director, Usuarios Digitales
* For further information on Zero Rating, see the 2016 DCNN Outcome on “Net neutrality reloaded: zero rating, specialised service, ad blocking and traffic management”