Annual Meeting of the Dynamic Coalition on Platform Responsibility
12 November, 14:00-15:30, Room 6
The digital environment is characterised by ubiquitous intermediation: most of the actions we take on the web are enabled, controlled or otherwise regulated through the operation of online platforms. Increasingly, the operation of these platforms affects individuals’ ability to develop their own personality and engage in a substantial amount of social interactions.
In light of the key role that online platforms are playing in shaping a global information society and the significant impact they have on the exercise of the rights of Internet users, an expectation exists that such entities behave “responsibly”, thus refraining from the violation of internationally recognised human rights standards and offering effective remedies aimed at repairing the negative consequences that their activities may have on users’ rights.
The Annual Meeting of the Dynamic Coalition on Platform Responsibility (DCPR) will explore the role of online platforms in the Internet ecosystem and their responsibility to respect human rights. Importantly, all participants will have the possibility to discuss the Recommendations on Terms of Service and Human Rights, elaborated by the DCPR, focusing on the most concrete and tangible means for online platforms to bring their responsibility to bear.
- Introductory keynotes:
- Joe Cannataci, UN Special Rapporteur for Privacy
- Benoit Thieulin, President of the French Digital Council
- Presentation of the Recommendations on Terms of Service and Human Rights
- Luca Belli, Center for Technology and Society at Fundação Getulio Vargas;
- Nicolo Zingales , Tilburg Law School
- o Primavera De Filippi, Université Paris 2 & Berkman Center
- High Level panel Discussion with;
- Patrick Penninckx, Council of Europe Information Society Department
- Flávia Lefèvre Guimarães, Proteste & Comitê Gestor da Internet CGI.br
- Veridiana Alimonti, Intervozes
- Marcel Leonardi, Google, TBC
- Open debate
Interactive moderation by Luca Belli, Nicolo Zingales & Primavera De Filippi